[Foodies] Happy Easter &Food & Wine Pairing Monday April 12th 2010
romeo at eurocafe.com
romeo at eurocafe.com
Wed Mar 31 23:23:10 EDT 2010
We will be closed Easter Sunday April 4th 2010. Happy Easter.
Food & Wine Pairing
When: Monday April 12th 2010 @ 6.30PM
Where: 207 N Gilbert Rd. Gilbert Az 85234
The Wines: Maryhill Winery
Rich Marshall from the Maryhill Winery will be here to talk about the wines.
Pictures of the
If lamb is not your thing please call for a suitable substitution. Did I
just say that?
The price $45.00 per person + tax,tip
For reservations please call 480-962-4224
Here are some great pictures from the Moo thing:
See you all soon.
Wow! This list is fantastic!
Here's something for the history buffs or just for nostalgia.
For those of you with Michigan backgrounds, this will bring back
if you're old enough. for those of you who did not grow up in southeastern
Michigan , you may find this interesting
Arbor Drugs opened its doors in Troy in 1974, when founder Eugene
several drug stores under the name. At the time, he owned a handful of
including one in Ann Arbor . Because the Ann Arbor store was the best of
he decided to use the second half of the citys name for his business.
Atlas Beverage Company
For more than 60 years, Atlas Beverage Company produced carbonated
names like Brownie Root Beer, Bulldog Ginger Beer, Cheer-Up, V-Mix, and
Pale Dry Ginger Ale. A Polish immigrant in Hamtramck founded the company
and it closed in 1996.
When the pharmacy where Sidney Barthwell was employed failed during the Great
Depression, Barthwell borrowed $500 from friends to open Barthwell Drugs
Barthwell Drugs grew to become the largest chain of black-owned drugstores
United States , with a total of nine stores and three ice-cream parlors.
the chain no longer exists, the Barthwell legacy remains in Detroit with the
establishment the Sidney Barthwell Endowed Scholarship at Wayne State
The Burroughs Adding Machine Company moved to Detroit in 1904 and was once
largest adding-machine company in the United States . William Seward
founded the company when he invented the Burroughs Registering Accountant
1880s; it was the first practical adding-listing machine that printed
on paper tapes. The company partnered with the Sperry Corporation in the
80s and is
now called Unisys. Although the company is now headquartered in Blue Bell,
still occupies the old Burroughs factory and office space in Plymouth , Mich.
B. Siegel Company
B. Siegel Companys fine-clothing store in Detroit was originally Heyns
until Benjamin Siegel purchased it in the late 1800s and changed the
The Woodward Avenue shop was reputed to be the finest and most complete
cloak store in America , until the company filed for bankruptcy in 1981.
Crowley Milner and Company (Crowleys)
When Detroit department store Partridge and Blackwell was struggling to
business, the Crowley brothers stepped in and took over. In the early
store flourished by catering to the city's affluent clientele, but by the
end of the
century, Crowleys had bowed out of the market! .
Andrew Cunningham opened Cunninghams Drugs in 1889 and had 11 stores in
Detroit when the company was purchased by Economical Drugs owner Nate
1931. Cunninghams was famous for its special promotions and used an
to represent their jumbo sodas, sundaes, and photo-print services. The chains
slogans included Don't say drug store ¨D say Cunninghams and Were a drug
store and a
whole lot more.
The story of Farmer Jack stores can be traced to 1924, when Russian
Borman opened Tom's Quality Meats in Detroit . Tom and his brother, Al,
stores that were a metro Detroit staple, becoming Farmer Jack in 1966. The
remaining Farmer Jack stores closed in 2007 (some were converted to A&Ps).
Steven Wests spans a range of endeavors, from writing five self-help books to
committing some major tax evasion. He's perhaps best-known in the Detroit
(BURNING), taking over Federals department store in the late 70s. In 1980,
Phar-Mor, Drug Emporium, and F&M were once the most powerful bargain
chains in America . The industry was pioneered in Ferndale when Fred and
Cohen opened the first F&M in 1955. The Cohens business strategy was selling
brand-name products at bargain prices, relying on word-of-mouth
banking on stock-up shopping popular in more affluent areas. When the
the business in 1977, their 9,000-square-foot store was grossing $13
Ollie Fretter opened his first self-titled electronics store in Livonia in
1950s. He may best be remembered for his commercials, in which he
give you five pounds of coffee if I can't beat your best deal.
Lebanese immigrant Theodore Gantos long dreamed of opening his own linen s
when the devastation of the Great Depression ended, he did just that. With
Haseebie, he opened the first Gantos store in Grand Rapids in 1932. Over
few decades, the store shifted gears to become a successful womens-wear
before going out of business in 2000.
Once known as the largest piano factory on the earth, Grinnells Pianos
doors in Holly , Mich. , in 1913. The company lasted for nearly a century,
part to its quality pianos and to its consistent community involvement
annual statewide music festivals.
Carl Thom opened the first Harmony House music store in Hazel Park in
for its superb selection of Detroit music, the chain grew to 38 stores before
finally closing in 2002.
In 1933, Harry Mondry founded the first Highland Appliance Store, named
location in Highland Park . The company had a dramatic rise and fall in
expanding to three states before finally liquidating in 1993.
The first Himelhochs clothing store opened on Washington Boulevard in
Detroit in 1907. Fifty years later, the chain had stretched across the
even to Paris . But in 1977, the company filed for bankruptcy and closed. Its
original location on Washington has been preserved as a historic landmark.
The J.L. Hudson Company was founded in 1881 by Joseph L. Hudson. The 29-story
flagship store, located at 1206 Woodward in downtown Detroit , was the worlds
tallest department store throughout most of the 20th century, with 706
rooms, 68 elevators, 51 display windows, five restaurants, a fine-art
gallery, and a
wine department. After many changes in the retail sector, the chain was
folded into Macys.
Hughes & Hatcher
In 1910, Fred Hughes and Leslie Hatcher opened their clothing store in
Detroit , and it soon became the top name in gentle mens fine apparel.
its stupendously stylish suits, Hughes & Hatcher was known for having the
display windows in town.
In 1838, the first Jacobsons store opened in Reed City , Mich. The store
the fashion needs of upscale Michigan clientele, and eventually expanded
and other states. The store is still profitable in Florida , but the Michigan
stores, after more than 150 years, remain closed.
Joshua Doore Furniture
In 1973, Harvey Leach opened the doors to Joshua Doore and, for years,
customers with the charming slogan You've got an uncle in the furniture
A few years later, amid the companys transformation into Uncle Robinson
Leach was found dead in the trunk of his car, allegedly as a result of
Where the Compuware building stands in downtown Detroit today once stood
grand retailer of the city's golden era, Kerns Department Store. Kerns
1900 and competed with J.L. Hudsons until closing in 1959. After much
the famous Kerns clock was rededicated by Compuware in 2003.
Kinsel Drug Store
The next time you need a remedy for a late-night cough, you can thank
Kinsel, who opened Detroit s first 24-hour drugstore. Kinsels opened in
offered patrons everything from cold remedies to cold cuts.
Eugene B.. Kline founded Klines womens fashion store in 1911. The
store on Woodward Avenue was called the most modern store in the country
Merchant of Vino
Founded in 1974, Merchant of Vino was well known for its fine wine and
foods. Although Eddie Jonna eventually sold his popular chain to Whole
his sons Marc and Matthew picked up where their father left off, opening the
state-of-the-art Plum Markets now seen around metro Detroit .
New York Carpet World
Marvin Berlin opened New York Carpet World in 1967. Along with his
Nusbaum, Berlin grew the chain to an impressive 250 stores in 17 states,
Michigan , making it the top source for household flooring.
Perrys Drug Store
Jack A. Robinson founded the hugely successful Perrys Drug Store chain,
taken over by Rite-Aid in the mid-90s. The first Perrys store opened in
1957, named for its location on Perry Street .
Pfeiffer Brewing Company
Conrad Pfeiffer began brewing his own beer in 1882. His Art Deco red-brick
was built between Beaufait and Bellevue avenues on the east side of Detroit ,
complete with a stable and hospitality area that offered tours, products
and a beer garden. Pfeiffer Brewing Company began producing its olive-drab
black lettering! for the government during World War II, soon after it
its yellow Johnny Fifer cans to the public.
R.H. Fyfe and Company
Detroit was once home to the largest shoe store in the world. Fyfes opened
and, by 1919, it had expanded to include 10 floors of shoes and service
well as a miniature-golf course. After closing, the headquarters at
Adams was converted into residential lofts.
Sam s Jams
Opened in 1979, Sams Jams was a hip Ferndale record shop where customers
always find rare and vintage tunes. Sams frequently hosted album signings
popular and alternative bands of the day. But much to the dismay of the local
underground music community, Sams closed its doors in 1993.
Frederick Sanders opened his first retail shop in downtown Detroit on June
1875.. At one time, Sanders had over 57 stores around town selling an
candy, fudge toppings, and baked goods. Sanders sold his first Ice Cream
1876, when he substituted ice cream for the sweet cream used in his Sweet
Sebastian S. Kresge/Kmart
With his humble beginnings, historic philanthropist Sebastian S. Kresge
couldn't have imagined that the city of Detroit would turn his modest
store into the gargantuan enterprise it became. S.S. Kresge Co. opened in
1899, and later expanded into Kmart Corporation, before merging with
Aaron Ross and Norm Rosenfeld opened the first Sibleys shoe store in
Detroit in 1920
and soon expanded to various locations throughout Michigan and Ohio .
in the Fox Building and, for a time, the Renaissance Center , the chain
dismantled in 2003.
In 1850, Bernhard Stroh established what would become a Detroit
referred to as Lions Head brewery. During Prohibition, the company stayed
producing ice cream and near beer and selling it in grocery stores and
parlors (Strohs Ice Cream can still be found today). With its headquarters
Park Centre near Grand Circus Park , Strohs was family-owned and -operated
than 145 years.
Thorn Apple Valley
After miraculously escaping from a Polish concentration camp during World
War II ,
Henry Dorfman immigrated into the United States and opened his own butcher
Detroit in 1949. The small company, originally called Frederick Packing
expanded nationwide and was renamed Thorn Apple Valley in 1984.
In the mid 1960s, Harold Samhat began selling Towne Club soda at various
around Detroit . Towne Club, sold in wooden crates with 24 glass bottles
was more affordable than Coke or Pepsi and was famous for its wide variety of
Twin Pines Dairy Farm
It's been a long time since fresh milk, cream, and cottage cheese were
right to your milk chute, but for almost 20 years, Twin Pines was perhaps
finest creamery. Before the emergence of convenience stores, Twin Pines
was such a
success that it even had its own childrens television show, Milky's Party
from 1950 to 1967.
Legend has it that Vernors ginger ale was created in 1866 when Detroit
James Vernor returned home from the Civil War and found that the syrup
and stored for four years had transformed into a deliciously different drink.
Combined with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (preferably Strohs), the
Detroit soda created a Midwest delicacy: the Boston cooler, believed to be
after Detroit 's Boston Boulevard .
The first Winkelmans store was built in Detroit in 1928. The founders,
Isadore and Leon Winkelman, were born and raised in the Upper Peninsula ,
in love with the city and stayed to open their successful clothing stores.
Perhaps the best-known of the old five-and-dimes was Woolworths, which
a larger discount store chain and thrived for most of the 20th century.
stores demise in the 80s, the company broke off into several parts,
sportswear division now known as Foot Locker.
More information about the Foodies